Korean stew



I don't know if you've noticed, but it was kinda cold outside lately (hello, polar vortex). You would think that after 500 something years, the Canadian DNA would have evolved to face this type of weather but eh, didn't happen, at least from my point of view. And when it's a gazillion degrees below zero outside (Celsius, because Canada), few things are more comforting than a bowl of piping-hot anything.

Korean stews are pretty much at the top of my list here: easy (who wants to cook after shoveling/walking in snow/pretty much anything outside at this temperature?), resilient in terms of ingredients and pretty tasty. Here, I used what we had in the fridge (because yes, the grocery store is around the corner, but so is my desire to go outside by this weather - i.e. not anywhere near me).

So there's no real recipe here: take whatever you have in your fridge that is stew-able (here, I put beef, shiitake and enoki mushrooms, lotus roots, spinaches, taro, nappa cabbage and noodles, add anchovy stock (I make mine from dried anchovies - easily found in asian supermarkets) and gochujuang (korean pepper paste) in a pot, have it simmer for a while and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts